Thursday, March 23, 2006

Artist Statements

Most of the artists I know hate writing artist statements. Don't know what to say. Don't know how to say it. Want to speak in images, not words. Want to just create art, not promote it. Don't necessarily want to put who they are out there along with what they create.

But, that said, I read a really charming "About Me" on this blog, and it made me think a little differently about artist statements. Rather than a commentary on what one thinks about art, more a commentary on how one sees oneself as an artist - and a little view into the workings of the artist's mind. I don't know yet what kind of art this person creates, because I am at work and the images are blocked. Which may be a good thing - if I had been looking at the images I might not have seen the statement.

I live in a slightly funky historic neighborhood with two cats, a pug, a couple of ghosts and the love of my life. I am a friend, a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, a sister-in-law and an aunt. For my friends and family, I am abundantly grateful. I see life as a constant wonder, frequently funny, often absurd and forever bittersweet. I worry excessively, forgive easily and allow my imagination way too much freedom. My birthday is the day after Valentine's Day; I have a space between my two front teeth, and a blonde streak in my hair. Some people say that I am short, but I don’t believe it. I do believe in the transformative magic of art and language. I believe in the wisdom of nature, the healing power of yoga and chocolate, the generosity of the universe and true love. I believe there are messages in my dreams, but I can’t decode them. I work with children, write stories, make stuff out of paper, sew wonky objects, bake cakes and dream big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home