Sunday, March 26, 2006

Aha! It's Roseola!

Well, at least that's my assessment from web research.

A child with roseola typically develops a mild upper respiratory illness, followed by a high fever (often over 103 degrees Fahrenheit) for up to a week. During this time, the child may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite and swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck.

The high fever often ends abruptly, and at about the same time a pinkish-red flat or raised rash appears on the child's trunk and spreads over the body. The rash's spots blanch when you touch them, and individual spots may have a lighter "halo" around them. The rash usually spreads to the neck, face, arms, and legs.

- excerpted from kidshealth.org


Fever came back with a vengeance on Friday night, peaking at a little over 105, but came down about 20 minutes after a dose of Tylenol. Rough night. Saturday he seemed better throughout the morning, but when he woke up from his nap, fever was 104. Tylenol helped again. Since he didn't have any other symptoms other than being cranky (which we attributed to not enough sleep), we didn't worry too much. We talked to some other folks who said their kids had had a similar thing recently - 24 hours of fever and then inexplicably better. The fever seemed to break solidly today and though he still had a slightly elevated temperature off and on, it wasn't over 100. He still looked kind of gray and lethargic and not quite himself though. And each time we attempted to go do something fun, he got worn out rapidly. Then this evening when changing a diaper, Scott discovered a rash all over his torso. That's when I looked up fever & rash in toddlers. Because I was having scary visions of chicken pox and measles and mysterious rashiness.

When I talked to my mom, she reminded me that Jake's cousin Alex had had the same thing not too long ago. But she thought the rash was itchy. When I talked to my brother, he said the rash was not itchy. And that does seem to be the case for Jake. Poor little guy. Just gets over one thing and then it's on to another. Are all childhoods like this?

1 Comments:

Blogger justjohanna said...

Crystal, I clicked through to your blog, but can't figure out how to get the posts to appear or how to email you. So hope you check back here for the response... I love Escondido. It has a small-town kind of feel to me. We live in a "historic" neighborhood that has a lot of community activities and an especially active art community. There is a wonderful downtown area with great restaurants, antique shops, art galleries, and frequent community activities. Also a stamp store, an art supply store, and a scrapbook store if you're a crafter. Have not heard of the church you're asking about, but there are lots of churches in the area. My job is an hour away. My husband stays home with our son. There are nice parks. The weather is beautiful nearly all the time. It's one of the few remaining affordable neighborhoods in San Diego County. If you have more specific questions, just let me know. I'll see if I can answer them.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home