Friday, April 28, 2006

Boot Camp followed by Games

I spent the day yesterday in a Forrester project management "boot camp" learning about writing business cases, and justifying large IT expenditures. Yippee! I also learned the word asymptotically:

as·ymp·tote ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sm-tt, -mp-)n.

A line whose distance to a given curve tends to zero. An asymptote may or may not intersect its associated curve.

[Ultimately from Greek asumpttos, not intersecting : a-, not; see a-1 + sumpttos, intersecting (from sumpiptein, sumpt-, to converge : sun-, syn- + piptein, to fall; see pet- in Indo-European Roots).]

asymp·totic (-ttk) or asymp·toti·cal adj.
asymp·toti·cal·ly adv.

***************************************************************

After fun adventures in finance and project management, I took a taxi over to Midway Games, where my brother works. He's working on a game called Stranglehold, directed by John Woo. The game is a sequel to the film Hard Boiled. E3 is in a couple of weeks, and I got to see the movie clip they'll be showing. It looks great! Can't wait to play the game. The upcoming expo almost makes me miss the game industry. But not really. I love this quote that sums up the E3 experience: playing games at E3 is like trying to read a book while a poltergeist destroys your apartment. So I'm probably not missing much, except that feeling for a few weeks of knowing stuff that mere humans are not privy to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home