Monday, May 15, 2006

Sunday Scribblings #7: The books I would write...

This week's Sunday Scribblings challenge is to complete the sentence: "The books I would write…"

"The books I would write" sounds overly ambitious to me. But I suppose if I really let my mind go, I think about writing a series of books telling stories about chapters of my life, rather like Maya Angelou. But mostly, when I daydream about writing, it's pretty specific. It's about someday finally finishing the one story I know I want to tell - about a journey to the brink of madness and then a triumphant return to reality. And I dream that the book will be fantastically successful and will be made into a movie. But then I get stuck trying to imagine who would play the various roles… and I hope for obscure but excellent actors. And I dream that the book/movie will generate enough revenue that we can pay off a house.

First paragraph… that's always a tough one, isn't it? I think I'd start with a scene right in the middle of the chaos…

I sat stubbornly on his suitcase in the middle of the living room, fat tears rolling down my cheeks like the tick-tock of a metronome. He sat quietly behind his desk, staring at me, drawing the cigarette smoke deep into his lungs, not caring if he exhaled directly into my face. Aching silence. I thought I could make him stay. First from pity, then from guilt. As I took one sleeping pill after another, the only thing he said was, "Would you like a glass of water?"

9 Comments:

Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Wow, what an incredibly powerful opening paragraph! That last line is like a slap. Well done. I hope you will find an editor-figure to nag you into a habit of completion!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy Canoli Batman! That's all I can say.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Starting right from the middle of the chaos is what I did with my book...unfortunately it has been incredibly difficult to go back and "shape a clean beginning". With an intro like yours, I wouldn't have to change a thing...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Great paragraph to begin a very, very compelling story to be sure. I hope you go for it. It sounds like the story has made a home in your heart and must be told.

11:29 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Now THAT is a beginning! Brilliant! Just keep writing and before you know it, you'll have that book.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Cee said...

What an amazing paragraph to open with. Keep going! I want to read the rest.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Joy Eliz said...

This is fantastic!
I love how you envision success...I'm a big believer in visioning.
You are such an inspiration!

4:50 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

that
was
a fantastic
first paragragh.

holy smokes.

:)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Alex S said...

I would absolutely keep reading this! What a striking way to have begun- will you keep it going and post your next paragraph??? I hope so!!!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home