Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Looooooooooong Car Ride

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

We were too tired on Tuesday night to do anything that involved leaving the hotel room. I stayed up later than everyone else, but was still in bed at a decent hour.

In the morning, Jake was the first one awake, as usual. He seems to have easily adjusted to the time difference. It’s going to be rough when we get home & he wakes up at 3:30 am. Dad, Jake & I had buffet breakfast in the hotel lobby area while Scott slept in a bit.

Then Dad took Jake to the aquarium, while Scott and I headed back to downtown Mystic. We did make a quick stop on the way to confirm my suspicions that the rubber stamp store was no more. It would have been within walking distance of our hotel. Bummer. We split up right away, so Scott could take pictures and I could shop. I went first to the stationery store. I found a few graphically interesting greeting cards, a journal for my Dad, and a notepad with an accordion folder just the right size to hold the cards I’ve been trying to churn out on this trip.

I looked briefly in a couple of other stores, but didn’t find anything. So I headed to Peppercress and Tulip, which had really caught my fancy the day before. I got a bunch of lovely decorative & sparkly items that will be perfect for a project I’m working on. Really looking forward to putting it together.

Scott & I headed back to the hotel room to pack up our things. Dad & Jake came back just as we started loading the car, and we were off to our next stop. Jake was very excited about having seen whales at the aquarium. “Mommy, mommy, mommy, whale! Daddy, whale! Mommy, I see whale! Daddy, daddy, daaaaaddyyyy, I see whale!”

Luckily, the whales had exhausted Jake and he slept for the first 2 hours of the trip. When he woke up, we stopped at McDonald’s for a bite to eat. I was feeling carsick already and couldn’t eat much. It was a little over 4 hours driving in all. It felt like 2 days. Near the end of the car ride, I gave Jake a couple of peanut butter crackers, and he kept trying to get me to eat one by sticking it in my face, saying, “Try, Mommy. Just try.” Exactly what I do to him when I want him to eat something. It’s annoying. I thought I was going to vomit. We were wiped out when we arrived at the cabin in Pennsylvania. But we unloaded the car, took a walk to assess the changes in the property since the flood shortly after our visit earlier in the summer, and then Scott & Dad went to get some groceries and some dinner. I was still quite ill, I thought from the car ride, so I skipped dinner.


Post a Comment

<< Home